It’s been a wee while since I’ve posted, mostly due to lack of progress in the house over the last month, however things are gathering pace, and actually, when I look back over the last month I have done a fair bit. The roofers/lead specialists have finally started on the roof after the scaffolding has been up for 3 months! The roof/gutters have been a total fiasco, but we finally have someone to do the job, and it seems to be taking less time than anticipated so far. They have stripped a metre of slates back on the roof to allow them to get a good run on the lead work in the valley gutters. They’ve also started replacing the rotten roof supports, and happily it looks like they don’t need to bring any ceilings down in the house which is a huge relief. Unfortunately as the roof has been leaking for so long we also have fairly serious dry rot which has added to the expense and complicated the work slightly. Hopefully it won’t delay things too much.
So, inside I have finally started on decorating! I am so excited! I cannot wait to have our bedroom done as it is just so tatty and uninviting. It’s definitely not the sort of room you look forward to retiring in of an evening! So far all I’ve managed to do is strip the wallpaper in here. I’ve been to order new curtains at Cotton and Chintz, a local shop to me here in Edinburgh. Julie was super helpful in my fabric choice and the price to get them made up is very reasonable indeed. They won’t be ready for around 8 weeks, but I think it’ll take me that long to get all the interior work done before we are at a point of hanging new curtains. I’m waiting for the plasterer to get back to me with a quote for skimming this room, then I need to get the joiner lined up to line the floor and get all the little fiddly joinery jobs done. I hope to be done and dusted by Christmas.
Whilst I’ve been waiting to get painting on the walls, I’ve had the Annie Sloan chalk paints out again. I remember on my course the tutor said that she had painted lamps with chalk paint before. Our bedside lamps were chocolate brown, a cheapy purchase from Asda when hubby first moved into his own flat. I had changed the shades on them 5 years ago but still hated the brown. As you know, I hate waste so rather than throw them out simply because they don’t fit in with my new decor, I decided to paint them. It worked out pretty well, and I think they’ll fit in pretty well with the new colours.
I’ve also been working on an old wooden chair that was left behind in the house. It was badly chipped and scratched so I thought it would be perfect to paint and distress. I’m pretty pleased with how this one turned out, and I can’t decide whether it’ll go in our room or one of the spare bedrooms. I’ll see once we have finished decorating.